Welcome to The Ribbon Device Blog!
Also the home of Mat Creedon's
School of Music ,
and Nincompoop Records. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Writing the song These Things


Current mood: busy
Category: Music
Writing These Things
This song is two sections that I wrote separately and latter joined
together. This generally happens when I feel one section
say the verse or chorus can not carry the song all the way through
by its self. This is also one way I have worked with other song writers.
I might have a verse and no chorus while my partner may have chorus
with no verse, but not every verse and chorus work together they still
have to compliment each other, unless you want that John Zorn juxtaposition.

Section one (verse)
The verse was written with a strong intention in mind, basically I always
wanted to write 1950's styled bass line. Something with a strong melodic
movement that out lined the chord progression. I set about writing the first
2 bars and then the next 2 came quite easily. The hook was always in the first
half of the line. I set out the chord progression by playing it on the top
3 strings of the guitar (e,B & G) while playing the bass line on the bottom
3 strings (D,A & E). I occasionally write in this fashion but not very often.

Section two (chorus)
The chorus I wrote while trying to will out a chord progression with
physical exertion, I have written many songs like this. I focus all my energy
with intensity and play myself into a frenzy for the next 1/2 hour to an
hour. Its very similar to doing intense physical exercise, it allows my mind
focus and open up while my body is exerted with the frenzy of the playing.
You might say its like getting into meditative state, a zone, or flow.
The results are usually positive and feeling you get is a little like being
high.
While actually getting high on a substance and writing has never
really worked for me. At the time it sounds great but when sober it
always sounds dull. Not to mention when Im in loopy land its much
harder to focus, each step Im off in a new direction with a dizzying swirl
of ridiculousness.

Recording These Things
The final arrangement of the tune was really straight forward.
Drum into
Verse
Chorus
Drum intro
Verse
Chorus x2
Verse (instrumental outro)

As for the instrumentation the tune really called out for a straight
ahead guitar, bass, drums and vocals line up. The inclusion
of Bars Sax solo was always intended but wasn't executed until the
end. Bar and I talked a bit about how it should sound and decided
on the idea of large interval jumps, after one pass it was done.
It was one of those unforgettable moments, the guy is a genius!
Also during the sax solo is the use of various percussion which was
envisioned and played by Mimmo, it really adds to the quirkiness
of that section.

The drum intro was produced by the layering of 7 kick drums and
7 snares with the help of sound replacer. This produced a synthetic
and mighty fat sound. During the choruses I layered two electric
guitars. One plugged intro 1956 Byer mic pre which has a small
speaker that played through. While the other was not plugged into anything,
it was recorded like you would an acoustic guitar, by sitting the microphone
in front of the guitar around 14th fret. This gave really great bite to the sound.

Other than that all the instruments were multi tracked (recorded separately)
and the drums were the first to be laid with aid of a pre recorded demo.

The Lyrics
As always the lyrics were written last. I already had the chorus in mind
while the verses were written with the aid of a condensed version of
the dictionary that I had written months earlier. I have always liked
the sound of certain words so I decided to write out my own dictionary
of words that I really like. Yes the whole dictionary and yes it took a long time.

These Thing's

Im the call girl in your cake,
the final wooden stake
Im the last one that your
ever gonna make.

Im your smiling coup de grace,
the cameleer that wins your race.
Your gonna feel that you never
have the space.

Im gonna bossa on your grave,
a bone shaker in the make.
Your gonna know Im your biggest
lone mistake.

Im the drift wood in your soup,
the dorsal in a suit.
Your gonna wish you had of
kept me in the boot.

All these things I do are wrong,
but everything is good
and you love it like you should,
aw baby if we could.

Im the anvil in eye,
the finger in your pie.
Im the one that's
never gonna die.

Im gonna gamma ray grey matter,
send you shoe strings of mad hatters.
Watch me open up the cracks
until it shatters.

Im gonna botox your fondue,
the Davy Jones in your room.
Your gonna wish that it's
nearly over soon.

Here Im crossing out your name,
so you never take the blame.
so you never, ever,
ever, ever feel again.

All these things I do are wrong,
but everything is good
and you love it like you should
aw baby if we could.

These Things written by Mat Creedon copyright 2006

Studio Players

Mat: Vox, Elec. guitars, Bass
Pat: Drums
Bar: Tenor Sax
Mimmo: Percussion

No comments:

Post a Comment