Welcome to The Ribbon Device Blog!
Also the home of Mat Creedon's
School of Music ,
and Nincompoop Records. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Writing Chemical Scratch


Current mood: calm
Category: Music
Writing Chemical Scratch

I was listening to a lot break beat and dub around the time I wrote this tune.
I find it funny that so many people I have talked to who like this tune dont like
"Its the Season" and vice versa. I guess for some, rock and electronica still dont
mix. I think there is a fine line between mixing styles and some sounds dont
mix so well. Electronic sounds generated from synths can sound very in your
face while natural sounds can sound almost weak when put along side them.
Its a bit like combining wood and plastic. Our first Ep "Audio Fields" is a very
electronic album and I think the only reason why it worked was because we used
real instruments and treated them like samples instead of heading straight for
the synths. We did run some real instrument through synths which a gave a
synthetic sound yet still retained the texture of the real instrument. I think the
texture is what saved it from dating badly but who knows in another tens years
I might look back on it and cringe. hahahaha

So this tune has a single melody that repeats through out the whole piece
which is quite common in electronic styles. The arrangement is what I enjoy
most about this tune, with its consistent changing. Which leads me onto
the recording side of the tune.

Recording Chemical Scratch

When I first started to tackle the arrangement I had no idea where it was going.
I just blindly went into it, recording numerous bass lines to different beats
and then tackling guitar parts. The guitar parts were the most fun, I ran the
guitar through a filter box (A synthesiser without an oscillator). I ended up
playing it very similar to a turntable. I had an ebow constantly vibrating a string
while fretting notes with a slide. I used the trigger on the filter box as a volume
and filter envelope and used an two expression pedals, one to increase & decrease the
LFO speed and the other for the cut off frequency. In other words I did loads of shit
and it sounded like a kazoo. There were also plenty of backwards guitar parts
like the solo and slide noise. And of course not to forget the on the spot vocals.
I arranged parts until I had seven different sections, which I ran back to back. All
in all it fell together quite quickly and there was little agonising other minor detail.
Its one those songs that I still enjoy because I didnt have to listen to it over and over,
I have learnt over the years not to burn my ears .

Chemical Scratch Lyrics

Feel love oh yeah
Feel love oh yeah
Feel love oh yeah
Feel love oh yeah

Got a dirty habit I cant stop making
like two dirty kids down at the station
Got a dirty habit I cant stop making
like two dirty kids making bacon

Feel love oh yeah
Feel love oh yeah
Feel love oh yeah
Feel love oh yeah


Chemical Scratch written by Mat Creedon copyright 2006

Studio Players

Mat: Vox, Aco. & Elec. guitars, Filters
Mimmo: Bass
Pat: Drums

No comments:

Post a Comment