Welcome to The Ribbon Device Blog!
Also the home of Mat Creedon's
School of Music ,
and Nincompoop Records. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Writing Happiness


Current mood: awake
Category: Music
Writing Happiness

Happiness is another two part song, the first part being the verse
was written at the end of a long days writing just before I had to start
teaching. I was nearly not going to use the idea and this usually happens,
sometimes I get so drained that I begin the to think the idea is not that great.
Luckily I realised that there was something special about it and I would of been
stupid not to at least document it for latter listening, for when my ears were
not so burnt out. Most of the time I do know when I have something good
as it all falls into place and writing is effortless, its an amazing experience
and happens rarely. For about 90% of my writing time its hard work
with nothing but crap ideas then all of that a sudden you get that brilliant
10% it really makes up for all the hard work.
The second section (Chorus) Im not sure if I remember when I actually
wrote it but I do remember I was using chord progressions with a moving
bass line on top. A similar style of writing that I used to write "These Things".
For me the two parts together just made so much sense as they both have
that retro pop quality about them. All I had to do was put them in the same key
and it was done.

Recording Happiness

I had previously recorded an instrumental version of this track which was mostly
percussion and guitar. I didnt think it really captured the songs pop sensibilities,
so I decided to work on a new version with vocals. What I did use was the form
of the instrumental version, which is:
verse
chorus
verse
chorus
drum solo
verse
chorus repeat and fade

I made a conscious decision to keep the song as retro as possible which is almost
becoming routine for me these days. I have always loved the sound and arrangements
of the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies, its like playing in a time machine and I always
try to take the best of what I have heard.
The instrumentation is guitar bass piano drums vocals and some radio static which
was picked up from the Bass that appears at the start during the triangle intro.
Sometimes I pick up all kinds of strange stuff from radio or TV static from poorly
shielded wiring. It can be a little spooky working alone late into the night and you
get some strange voices coming out of your amp. Thank god Im never high during
recording sessions otherwise Im sure the paranoia would do my head in, which would
end the session quite quickly.
Again we used sound replacer on the drums and you can hear the different drum samples
during the verse and the chorus, which Mimmo and I have become quite fond of doing.
It gives the song that little shift between sections. Sound replacer is a program that lets
you replace a sound if it aint up to scratch. It works particularly well on drums as good
snares and kick sounds can be rather hard to record. So we recorded Pat playing
his drums along to the track and then replaced anything that sounded a little weak.
Mental note: never tell a drummer you replaced his drums sounds after you have
just spent all of two weeks recording him. Saying he was not happy was an understatement.
On the final chorus is my wife (Monica) singing backing vocals which was taken from
the second demo I did of the song. During that time I asked Mon to have a listen to the
track so far, she told me it needed a harmony which she demonstrated to me, it sounded
so beautiful that I recorded her on the spot. She did a single take and it was done,
perfect first time.

Writing the Lyrics for Happiness
As always lyrics were again written last, and the melody always spoke to me about
lost love. Never knowing what you have until it is gone and always being too busy
to give it time when you have it. In some ways I think it is human nature to always
want what you dont have and to get easily get bored with what you do have.
But if you never spend the time with what you have, how do you know what it is
and that you really have it?

Happiness

Time was ticking eleven,
well when I found her.
She was Sunday morning drowning,
as I remember.
She said "I love you all with kisses"
"But now Im trying,
yeah Im trying,
yeah yeah Im trying".

Cause love is free,
not spent memories,
or long ended words.
Taking up more time
than it's worth.

She was hypnotic, tangled beauty,
my noonday siren.
While my gestures they had purpose,
just like dying.
She said "I love you
but cant you see me?"
Im always trying,
yeah Im trying,
yeah, yeah Im trying.

Cause love is free,
not spent memories,
or long ended words.
Taking up more time
than it's worth.

Now of her there's only pictures
and my desire.
And I learnt love aint filling buckets
but lighting fire's.
Now it's always the same morning,
but now Im trying,
yeah, yeah Im trying,
yeah, yeah Im trying

Cause love is free,
not spent memories,
or long ended words.
Taking up more time
than it's worth.

Taking up more time
than it's worth.

Happiness written by Mat Creedon copyright 2006

Studio Players

Mat: Vox, Aco. & Elec. guitars, Piano, Sampler
Mimmo: Bass
Pat: Drums
Monica: Backing Vox

No comments:

Post a Comment