Welcome to The Ribbon Device Blog!
Also the home of Mat Creedon's
School of Music ,
and Nincompoop Records. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Writing the song Determination


Current mood: tired
Category: Music
Writing Determination

This song that was written around two guitar riffs, one being the verse
and the other the chorus. (for all the muso's) Both the riffs are built around
major chords but to give the song impact I made the verse riff the relative
minor (Sad) while the chorus riff its relative major (Happy). This is quite a
common idea among many song writers and gives the two sections contrast.
Its very easy to create impact when a song moves from a sad (minor) verse to a
happy (major) chorus. Even if the arrangement is static the song will still sound
effective.
At the time of writing this tune I was listening to alot of gritty dance music
and spending alot of time at earthcore ( www.earthcore.com.au ) and dance
parties in derelict buildings around Melbourne. All types of Electronic and
experimental music have diffidently had an effect on my song writing over the years
and will continue to do so. While this tune is really more rock in style, it does have a
hypnotic element to it. This only came about through endless hours of being mashed
with Mimmo at dance parties.

Recording Determination

This was the fastest recorded and arranged song on the whole album. It was
envisioned and executed all on the same day, there were no later over dubs nothing.
Vocals were written and recorded on the spot as with all the other instruments.
Everything was done on the first take and in a very relaxed manner, because at
the time I was really only expecting it to be a demo. The mix was quickly man
handled and it was done. The next day my hard drive died and the song session
was lost forever. All that was left was the version that I burnt to a cd that I used
for listening purposes. I latter tried to rerecorded the song thinking I could better
it but all the other vocal takes paled in comparison, so I was stuck with the original.
Not that Im complaining, its just a lesson to learn that sometimes you can only
nail things once.

The Lyrics of Determination

Like I said earlier the lyrics were written on the spot but I think that just made the
lyrics clearer. Sometimes I find the longer I spend on something the more obscure
I make it because my insecurities tell me its to simple so I end over complicating it.
At the time of this tune the band was just finding its feet and the previous 7 years
had been a constant stream of failed bands line ups. So I was very determined
to make it work no matter how bad things got. If the Ribbon Device has an anthem
its probably this song. The more hurdles we have to jump the stronger we get.

Determination

And broken heart,
and broken head,
and broken arm's,
and broken leg's.

And Fallen down
on the conference's.
And Fallen down
on the conference's.

And broken heart,
and broken head,
and broken arm's,
and broken leg's.

And Fallen down
on the conference's.
And Fallen down
on the conference's.

And broken heart,
and broken head,
and broken arm's,
and broken leg's.

And Fallen down
on the conference's.
And Fallen down
on the conference's.

And broken heart,
and broken head,
and broken arm's,
and broken leg's.

Determination written by Mat Creedon copyright 2006

Studio Players

Mat: Vox, Elec. guitars, Sampler, Bass

No comments:

Post a Comment