Welcome to The Ribbon Device Blog!
Also the home of Mat Creedon's
School of Music ,
and Nincompoop Records. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I dread the summer holidays, why I hear you ask?
Well for me work stops and so does the weekly paycheques.
And this summer I had really got myself into a bad position.
Just before christmas I maxed out my credit card opening
a new online store, hoping to get some pre christmas sales.
I should have known, there is no such thing as fast money.

So with hungry mouths to feed I hit the streets busking with the sitar
(strange looking Indian version of the guitar) and a 15watt
pignose amp. The sitar attracted lots of attention as I had hoped,
lots of people wanted to know about this exotic looking instrument
yet gave little in return.

I soon realised buskers have come along way since I was a
14 year old playing christmas songs at the local supermarket.
Most professional buskers work with a car battery powered PA
system, a lot more powerful than a 15 watt amp I can tell you.
And they have a money making repertoire honed over years of
trial and error. These buskers know what they are doing!

So with no money to spend on a bigger sound system I set to work
honing a repertoire and by luck I found a gardening job to feed us.
Sadly by the time I had memorised a handful of songs I was back at
work. Determined not to let the repertoire go to waste I recorded a
youtube version of Imagine by John Lennon on the sitar.

So here it is and please tip generously!

cheese
Mat




No comments:

Post a Comment